Sunday, September 8, 2013

Sacred Geometry

I enjoyed these sacred geometry readings because it made me pause and think about why certain numbers are so pervasive in our world. Three, four, and five can really can be found everywhere in language structure, classifications, science, nature, cultural norms, etc.  When we brainstormed our associations towards numbers on the first day of class, I was surprised we could come up with so many things...Most of this stuff we just take for granted and don't think about.  Like the conclusion of Chapter Three states, "You already knew all this but may have had to be reminded."  

My favorite number has always been three, but until I actually read this stuff I couldn't actually explain why.  It just felt like a good number to me.  But I am partial the whole idea of balance and thoroughness that three conveys.  Four is also balance, but it is too stable, and five is too dynamic.  I also like that the self can be expressed through the number three.  The reading talks about the ancient roots of this, but I also like psychologists Jung and especially Freud's take on it (the whole id, ego, superego thing).


Associations with certain numbers and their shapes have a lot to do with how we perceive things unconsciously - for example, the way the text describes the star as a worldwide symbol of excellence, or triangles and squares  as universally recognized forms of balance.  These archetypes work so well because they have been ingrained in the human psyche for just about as long as we have been conscious, rational, material-creating beings.  Numbers are powerful stuff.  I think sacred geometry will act well as the "glue" that holds the human and technological story elements in our crowdsourcing idea together, because people don't have to be explicitly familiar with its concepts to understand them.  Since these numbers already act to hold our world together through their ubiquitous presence, it is a topic that people can viscerally relate to, although they may not know exactly why they can do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment